Sunday, 26 February 2012

Date Night at the Blue Door

With all the craziness that's been going on lately, Kaylee and I have just been missing out on some quality time. The only time we get to hang out is when we're at the gym or making supper, so there's been a little lack of romance. Since we both had last night free, we decided to spend some time together and go on a date to one of our favorite restaurants. 

We made reservations for the Blue Door. It's one of our favorite places to go, but seeing as it's a little steep and we're on a budget, we only have the opportunity to eat there about once a year. For those of you Frederictonians who haven't been, it's located downtown on the corner of King and Regent. The atmosphere is warm and romantic, and the decor is fancy and classy. 



Because of my many dietary restrictions, I was thrilled to see that the menu offered vegetarian and gluten free options. After looking over the menu, and talking to the waitress about my diet, she pointed out a few options that could be made vegan for me. 


For our appetizer we originally wanted little samosa things (?) but after we ordered them, the waitress informed us they contained eggs. We went for the next best thing, sweet potato fries, and the waitress kindly brought over two sauces, the orange one was a chipotle mayo, and the other was a vegan friendly favorite, ketchup.

For my main, I was immediately drawn to the Pad Thai, but noticed that it was made with shrimp, eggs and contained a fish sauce. But the waitress informed me that it could be made with tofu instead of shrimp, the eggs could be skipped and they could use a peanut sauce instead of the fish based one that usually went with this meal. I was so grateful that it could be done, and I was not disappointed because this meal was one of the best Pad Thai's I have ever had. The peanut sauce was spicy and very creamy, the tofu was cooked to perfection and the bean sprouts on top were fresh and crunchy. SO GOOD!

Kaylee ordered the Red Thai Chicken Curry, with the chicken substituted with tofu. She absolutely loved it, and I would have tried it but I think there was a creamy base, and I wanted to avoid any nasty belly reactions. But it sure smelled delicious!

One weird habit of mine is that whenever I go out to eat, I immediately divide my plate in half and only eat one of the halves there and then. I always box up the other half, because restaurant portions are always so big and if I'm paying a pretty penny for a tasty meal, I definitely want leftovers for the next day. And that's exactly what we did last night. I had the leftovers for lunch today, and I swear the food tasted even better the day after (isn't that always the way it is with takeout?) 
I highly recommend the Blue Door if you're looking for a hearty, warm and flavorful meal. The staff is incredibly helpful at meeting any dietary needs you have, and the atmosphere is relaxed and romantic. If you have a special occasion coming up, I definitely suggest you check this place out!  


After supper, we went to grab a coffee and some dessert. 


I had my first Americano (decaf) coffee and I am officially an espresso convert! It was so creamy and warm, and I just wanted to curl up with a blanket and book and just stay there forever... 

For dessert we picked up an organic chocolate bar, filled with cranberries, blueberries, matcha green tea, cinnamon and ginger. We devoured the thing in less than ten minutes, it was that good. 

And then we played crossword lotto puzzles. Yes, we are aware that we're 80 years old, and we love every minute of it! 

After our date, we met up with a few friends at a pub for a drink. It was the perfect way to end a perfect night! 


Now I'd like to know....
When was your last date? What did you do? 

5 comments:

  1. Tried commenting few times and net keeps crashing grr! Place sounds & looks awesome! We went for date night on Friday <3 dinner & Movie!

    M x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, we also looked through Curve while at the coffee shop and finally found your article! Yay!

      Delete
  2. Your date night looks adorable! Just found you through Wegan, and I have to say your weightloss journey is so inspirational! You looked beautiful before but are even more stunning now! We're now your newest follower! :)

    Laura (& Sarah) xo
    sprezzaturaourway.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never been on a date but yours sounds really nice..especially the red thai chicken curry! and how amazing are sweet potato fries in chipotle mayo? mmmm. I've heard really good things about the blue door, i should go someday!

    ReplyDelete